Peer Reviewed Scientific Publications
Popular Press Articles
Managing Cover Crops Profitably (SARE Handbook Series Book 9)
by Andy Clark
Clark, Andy (ed.). 2007. Managing Cover Crops Profitably, 3rd ed. Sustainable Agriculture Network, Beltsville, MD.
Peer Reviewed Publications
*Updated March 2015*
- Björkman T, C Lowry, JW Shail, Jr., DC Brainard, DS Anderson, and JB Masiunas. 2015. Mustard Cover Crops for Biomass Production and Weed Suppression in the Great Lakes Region. Agronomy Journal 107:1235–1249.
- Ito T, M Araki, T Higashi, M Komatsuzaki, N Kaneko and H Ohta. 2015. Responses of soil nematode community structure to soil carbon changes due to different tillage and cover crop management practices over a nine-year period in Kanto, Japan. Applied Soil Ecology 89:50-58.
- Constantin J, C Dürr, H Tribouillois and E Justes. 2015. Catch crop emergence success depends on weather and soil seedbed conditions in interaction with sowing date: A simulation study using the SIMPLE emergence model. Field Crops Research 176:22-33.
- Rühlemann L and K Schmidtke. 2015. Evaluation of monocropped and intercropped grain legumes for cover cropping in no-tillage and reduced tillage organic agriculture. European Journal of Agronomy 65:83-94.
- Ramírez-García J, JM Carrillo, M Ruiz, M Alonso-Ayuso and M Quemada. 2015. Multicriteria decision analysis applied to cover crop species and cultivars selection. Field Crops Research 175:106-115.
Singh M, MS Bhullar and BS Chauhan. 2015. Influence of tillage, cover cropping, and herbicides on weeds and productivity of dry direct-seeded rice. Soil and Tillage Research 147:39-49.
- Bayer C, J Gomes, JA Zanatta, FCB Vieira, MC Piccolo, J Dieckow and J Six. 2015. Soil nitrous oxide emissions as affected by long-term tillage, cropping systems and nitrogen fertilization in Southern Brazil. Soil and Tillage Research 146:213-222.
- Smith RG. 2015. A succession-energy framework for reducing non-target impacts of annual crop production. Agricultural Systems 133:14-21.
- Poeplau C and A Don. 2015. Carbon sequestration in agricultural soils via cultivation of cover crops – A meta-analysis. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 200:33-41.
- Ito T, M Araki, M Komatsuzaki, N Kaneko and H Ohta. 2015. Soil nematode community structure affected by tillage systems and cover crop managements in organic soybean production. Applied Soil Ecology 86:137-147.
- Belle AJ, S Lansing, W Mulbry and RR Weil. 2015. Anaerobic co-digestion of forage radish and dairy manure in complete mix digesters. Bioresource Technology 178:230-237.
- Liu J, G Bergkvist and B Ulén. 2015. Biomass production and phosphorus retention by catch crops on clayey soils in southern and central Sweden. Field Crops Research 171:130-137.
- Ferrari FN and CA Parera. 2015. Germination of six native perennial grasses that can be used as potential soil cover crops in drip-irrigated vineyards in semiarid environs of Argentina. Journal of Arid Environments 113:1-5.
- Holst GS, O Musshoff and T Doerschner. 2014. Policy impact analysis of penalty and reward scenarios to promote flowering cover crops using a business simulation game. Biomass and Bioenergy 70:196-206.
- Liang S, J Grossman and W Shi. 2014 Soil microbial responses to winter legume cover crop management during organic transition. European Journal of Soil Biology 65:15-22.
- Samarappuli DP, BL Johnson, H Kandel and MT Berti. 2014. Biomass yield and nitrogen content of annual energy/forage crops preceded by cover crops. Field Crops Research 167:31-39.
- Pratt MR, WE Tyner, DJ Muth Jr. and EJ Kladivko. 2014. Synergies between cover crops and corn stover removal. Agricultural Systems 130:67-76.
- Brust J, W Claupein and R Gerhards. 2014. Growth and weed suppression ability of common and new cover crops in Germany. Crop Protection 63:1-8.
- Summers CF, S Park, A R. Dunn, X Rong, KL Everts, MD Kleinhenz, B McSpadden Gardener and CD Smart. 2014. Fungal and oomycete pathogen detection in the rhizosphere of organic tomatoes grown in cover crop-treated soils. Applied Soil Ecology 80:44-50.
- Mercenaro L, G Nieddu, P Pulina, C Porqueddu. 2014. Sustainable management of an intercropped Mediterranean vineyard. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 192:95-104.
- Sulc RM and AJ Franzluebbers. 2014. Exploring integrated crop–livestock systems in different ecoregions of the United States. European Journal of Agronomy 57:21-30.
- Franzluebbers AJ and JA Stuedemann. 2014. Crop and cattle production responses to tillage and cover crop management in an integrated crop–livestock system in the southeastern USA. European Journal of Agronomy 57:62-70.
- Abdalla M, A Hastings, M Helmy, A Prescher, B Osborne, G Lanigan, D Forristal, D Killi, P Maratha, M Williams, K Rueangritsarakul, P Smith, P Nolan and MB Jones. 2014. Assessing the combined use of reduced tillage and cover crops for mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from arable ecosystem. Geoderma v223–225:9-20.
- Giese G, C Velasco-Cruz, L Roberts, J Heitman and TK Wolf. 2014. Complete vineyard floor cover crops favorably limit grapevine vegetative growth. Scientia Horticulturae 170: 256-266. , ISSN 0304-4238,
- Summers CF, S Park, AR Dunn, X Rong, KL Everts, SLF Meyer, SM Rupprecht, MD Kleinhenz, B McSpadden Gardener and CD Smart. 2014. Single season effects of mixed-species cover crops on tomato health (cultivar Celebrity) in multi-state field trials. Applied Soil Ecology 77:51-58.
- Arnhold S, S Lindner, B Lee, E Martin, J Kettering, TT Nguyen, T Koellner, YS Ok and B Huwe. 2014. Conventional and organic farming: Soil erosion and conservation potential for row crop cultivation. Geoderma v219–220:89-105.
- Higashi T, M Yunghui, M Komatsuzaki, S Miura, T Hirata, H Araki, N Kaneko and H Ohta. 2014. Tillage and cover crop species affect soil organic carbon in Andosol, Kanto, Japan. Soil and Tillage Research. 138:64-72.
- Kramberger B, A Gselman, J Kristl, M Lešnik, V Šuštar, M Muršec and M Podvršnik. 2014. Winter cover crop: the effects of grass–clover mixture proportion and biomass management on maize and the apparent residual N in the soil. European Journal of Agronomy 55:63-71.
- Islam R and R Reeder. 2014, No-till and conservation agriculture in the United States: An example from the David Brandt farm, Carroll, Ohio. International Soil and Water Conservation Research 2(1):97-107.
- Damour G, M Dorel, HT Quoc, C Meynard and J Risède. 2014 A trait-based characterization of cover plants to assess their potential to provide a set of ecological services in banana cropping systems. European Journal of Agronomy 52:218-228.
- Sanz-Cobena A, S García-Marco, M Quemada, JL Gabriel, P Almendros and A Vallejo, Do cover crops enhance N2O, CO2 or CH4 emissions from soil in Mediterranean arable systems? Science of The Total Environment v466–467:164-174.
- Vervoort MTW, JA Vonk, KM Brolsma, W Schütze, CW Quist, RGM de Goede, E Hoffland, J Bakker, C Mulder, J Hallmann and J Helder. 2014. Release of isothiocyanates does not explain the effects of biofumigation with Indian mustard cultivars on nematode assemblages, Soil Biology and Biochemistry 68:200-207.
- Wilson ML, DL Allan, and JM Baker. Aerially seeding cover crops in the northern US Corn Belt: Limitations, future research needs, and alternative practices. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 69(3):67A-72A.
- Grabber JH, WE Jokela and JG Lauer. 2014. Soil nitrogen and forage yields of corn grown with clover or grass companion crops and manure. Agronomy Journal 106(3):952-961.
- Acuña JCM and MB Villamil. 2014. Short-term effects of cover crops and compaction on soil properties and soybean production in Illinois. Agronomy Journal 106(3):860-870.
- Hayden ZD, M Ngouajio and DC Brainard. 2014. Rye–vetch mixture proportion tradeoffs: Cover crop productivity, nitrogen accumulation, and weed suppression. Agronomy Journal 106(3):904-914.
- Drury CF, CS Tan, TW Welacky, WD Reynolds, TQ Zhang, TO Oloya, NB McLaughlin and JD Gaynor. 2014. Reducing nitrate loss in tile drainage water with cover crops. Journal of Environmental Quality 43(2):587-598
- Campiglia E, R Mancinelli, V Di Felice, and E Radicetti. 2014. Long-term residual effects of the management of cover crop biomass on soil nitrogen and yield of endive (Cichorium endivia L.) and savoy cabbage (Brassica oleracea var. sabauda). Soil and Tillage Research 139:1-7.
- Abdollahi L and LJ Munkholm. 2014. Tillage system and cover crop effects on soil quality: I. Chemical, mechanical, and biological properties. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78 (1):262-270.
- Abdollahi L, LJ Munkholm and A Garbout. 2014. Tillage system and cover crop effects on soil quality: II. Pore characteristics. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78(1) :271-279
- Carlson S and R Stockwell. 2013. Research priorities for advancing adoption of cover crops in agriculture-intensive regions. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 3(4), 125–129.
- Alliaume F, WAH Rossing, P Tittonell, G Jorge, S Dogliotti. 2013. Reduced tillage and cover crops improve water capture and reduce erosion of fine textured soils in raised bed tomato systems. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 183:127-137.
- Brozyna MA, SO Petersen, N Chirinda, and JE Olesen. 2013. Effects of grass-clover management and cover crops on nitrogen cycling and nitrous oxide emissions in a stockless organic crop rotation. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 181:115-126.
- Marley CL, R Fychan, VJ Theobald, SP Cuttle, and R Sanderson. 2013. Effects of a winter or spring sowing date on soil nitrogen utilization and yield of barley following a forage crop of red clover, lucerne or hybrid ryegrass. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 181:213-222.
- Pramanik P, Md M Haque, and PJ Kim. 2013. Effect of nodule formation in roots of hairy vetch (Vicia villosa) on methane and nitrous oxide emissions during succeeding rice cultivation. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 178:51-56.
- Schomberg HH, DS Fisher, DW Reeves, DM Endale, RL Raper, KSU Jayaratne, GR Gamble and MB Jenkins. 2014. Grazing winter rye cover crop in a cotton no-till system: Yield and economics. Agronomy Journal 106(3):1041-1050.
- Wilson ML, Baker JM and DL Allan. 2013. Factors affecting successful establishment of aerially seeded winter rye. Agronomy Journal 105(6):1868-1877.
- Gentry LE, SS Snapp, RF Price and LF Gentry. 2013. Apparent red clover nitrogen credit to corn: Evaluating cover crop introduction. Agronomy Journal 105(6):1658-1666.
- Wells MS, SC Reberg-Horton, AN Smith and JM Grossman. 2013. The reduction of plant-available nitrogen by cover crop mulches and subsequent effects on soybean performance and weed interference. Agronomy Journal 105(2):539-545.
- Brennan EB, NS Boyd, and RF Smith. Winter cover crop seeding rate and variety effects during eight years of organic vegetables: III. Cover crop residue quality and nitrogen mineralization. Agronomy Journal 105(1):171-182.
- Lundgren JG, LS Heslera, SA Clayb, SF Faustic. 2013. Insect communities in soybeans of eastern South Dakota: The effects of vegetation management and pesticides on soybean aphids, bean leaf beetles, and their natural enemies. Crop Protection 43:104–118.
- Vieira Guimaraes D, MI Silva Gonzaga , T Oliveira da Silva, TL da Silva, N da Silva Dias, MI Silva Matias. 2013. Soil organic matter pools and carbon fractions in soil under different land uses. Soil & Tillage Research 126:177–182.
- Higashi T, M Yunghui, M Komatsuzaki, S Miura, T Hirata, H Araki, N Kaneko, and H Ohta. 2014. Tillage and cover crop species affect soil organic carbon in Andosol, Kanto, Japan. Soil and Tillage Research 38:64-72.
- Chen G, RR Weil and RL Hill. 2014. Effects of compaction and cover crops on soil least limiting water range and air permeability. Soil and Tillage Research 136:61-69.
- Nascente AS, YC Li, C Alexandre and C Crusciol. 2014. Cover crops and no-till effects on physical fractions of soil organic matter. Soil and Tillage Research 130:52-57.
- Hubbard RK, TC Strickland and S Phatak. 2013. Effects of cover crop systems on soil physical properties and carbon/nitrogen relationships in the coastal plain of southeastern USA. Soil and Tillage Research 126:276-283.
- Arroyo Garcia R, Y Li and CA Rosolem. 2013. Soil organic matter and physical attributes affected by crop rotation under no-till. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77(5):1724-1731.
- Fraser PM, D Curtin, T Harrison-Kirk, ED Meenken, MH Beare, F Tabley, RN Gillespie and GS Francis. 2013. Winter nitrate leaching under different tillage and winter cover crop management practices. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77(4):1391-1401.
- Blanco-Canqui H, JD Holman, AJ Schlegel, J Tatarko and TM Shaver. 2013. Replacing fallow with cover crops in a semiarid soil: Effects on soil properties. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77(3):1026-1034.
- Kaspar TC, DB Jaynes, TB Parkin, TB Moorman and JW Singer. 2012. Effectiveness of oat and rye cover crops in reducing nitrate losses. Agricultural Water Management 110: 25-33.
- Kim SY, J Gutierrez and PJ Kim. 2012. Considering winter cover crop selection as green manure to control methane emission during rice cultivation in paddy soil. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 161:130-136.
- Gabriel JL, P Almendros, C Hontoria, M Quemada. 2012. The role of cover crops in irrigated systems: Soil salinity and salt leaching. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 158:200-207.
- Wortman SE, CA Francis, ML Bernards, RA Drijber and JL Lindquist. 2012. Optimizing cover crop benefits with diverse mixtures and an alternative termination method. Agronomy Journal 104(5):1425-1435.
- Halvorson AD and AJ Schlegel. 2012. Crop rotation effect on soil carbon and nitrogen stocks under limited irrigation. Agronomy Journal 104(5):1265-1273.
- Wortman SE, CA Francis and JL Lindquist. 2012. Cover crop mixtures for the Western Corn Belt: Opportunities for increased productivity and stability. Agronomy Journal 104(3):699-705
- Lawley YE, JR Teasdale and RR Weil. 2012. The mechanism for weed suppression by a forage radish cover crop. Agronomy Journal 104(2):205-214.
- Blanco-Canqui H, MM Claassen and DR Presley. 2012. Summer cover crops fix nitrogen,increase crop yield, and improve soil–crop relationships. Agronomy Journal 104(1):137-147.
- Brainard D, B Henshaw and S Snapp. 2012. Hairy vetch varieties and bi-cultures influence cover
crop services in strip-tilled sweet corn. Agron. J. 104(3):629-638.
- Koch RL, PM Porter, MM Harbur, MD Abrahamson, KAG Wyckhuys, DW Ragsdale, K Buckman, Z Sezen and GE Heimpel. 2012. Response of soybean insects to an autumn-seeded rye cover crop. Environmental Entomology, 41(4):750-760.
- Xu N, HF Wilson, JE Saiers and M Entz. 2012. Effects of crop rotation and management system on water-extractable organic matter concentration, structure, and bioavailability in a Chernozemic agricultural soil. Journal of Environmental Quality 42:179-190.
- McGee RJ and KE McPhee. 2012. Release of autumn-sown pea germplasm PS03101269 with food-quality seed characteristics. Journal of Plant Registrations, 6:354-357.
- Butler DM, EN Rosskopf, N Kokalis-Burelle, JP Albano, J Muramoto and C Shennan. Exploring warm-season cover crops as carbon sources for anaerobic soil disinfestation (ASD). Plant and Soil. 355(1-2):149-165
- Kong AYY and J Six. 2012. Microbial community assimilation of cover crop rhizodeposition within soil microenvironments in alternative and conventional cropping systems. Plant and Soil 356(1-2): 315-330.
- Tiecher T, D Rheinheimer dos Santos and A Calegari. 2012. Soil organic phosphorus forms under different soil management systems and winter crops, in a long term experiment. Soil & Tillage Research 124:57-67.
- Steele MK, FJ Coale and RL Hill. 2012. Winter annual cover crop impacts on no-till soil physical properties and organic matter. Soil Science Society of America Journal 76(6):2164-2173
- Kumar S, A Kadono, R Lal and W Dick. 2012. Long-term tillage and crop rotations for 47–49 years influences hydrological properties of two soils in Ohio. Soil Science Society of America Journal 76(6): 2195-2207.
- Fisher KA, B Momen and RJ Kratochvil. 2011. Is broadcasting seed an effective winter cover crop planting method?
Agronomy Journal, 103:472–478.
- Singer JW, KA Kohler, and DW Meek. 2011. Minimizing interspecific competition by optimizing cover crop self-seeding. Agronomy Journal 103:1186-1191.
- Maul JE, SB Mirsky, SE Emche , T Devine. 2011. Evaluating a germplasm collection of the cover crop Hairy vetch (Vicia villosa Roth) for use in sustainable farming systems. Crop Science, 51:2615-2625.
- Hayot Carbonero C, I Mueller-Harvey, T Brown and L Smith. 2011. Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia): a beneficial forage legume. Plant Genetic Resources, 9:70–85.
- Sequeira CH and MM Alley. 2011. Soil organic matter fractions as indices of soil quality changes. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:1766-1773.
- Ochsner TE, KA Albrecht, TW Schumacher, JM Baker and RJ Berkevich. 2010. Water balance and nitrate leaching under corn in Kura clover living mulch. Agronomy Journal 102(4):1169–1178.
- Jacobsen K, R Gallagher, M Burnham, B Bradley, Z Larson, C Walker and J Watson. 2010. Mitigation of seed germination impediments in hairy vetch. Agronomy Journal 102:1346- 1351.
- Wilhelm WW, JR Hess, DL Karlen, JMF Johnson, DJ Muth, JM Baker, HT Gollany, JM Novak, DE Stott and GE Varvel. 2010. Balancing limiting factors and economic drivers for sustainable Midwestern US agricultural residue feedstock supplies. Industrial Biotechnology 6:271-286.
- Blanco-Canqui H, LR Stone and PW Stahlmana. 2010. Soil Response to Long-Term Cropping Systems on an Argiustoll in the Central Great Plains. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74 (2): 602-611.
- Mischler RA, WS Curran, SW Duiker, and JA Hyde. 2010. Use of a rolled-rye cover crop for weed suppression in no-till soybeans. Weed Technology, 24:253-261.
- Jarecki MK, TB Parkin, ASK Chan, TC Kaspas, TB Moorman, JW Singer, BJ Kerr, JL Hatfield and R Jones. 2009. Cover crop effects on nitrous oxide emission from a manure-treated Mollisol. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 134:29-35.
- Baker JM and TJ Griffis. 2009. Evaluating the potential use of winter cover crops in corn soybean systems for sustainable co-production of food and fuel. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 149:2120-2132.
- Coulter JA, ED Nafziger and MM Wander. 2009. Soil organic matter response to cropping system and nitrogen fertilizer. Agronomy Journal 101(3):592-599.
- Singer JW, KA Kohler, J Moore, and DW Meek. 2009. Living mulch forage yield and botanical composition in corn-soybean-forage rotation. Agronomy Journal 101(5): 1249-1257.
- Faé GS, RM Sulc, DJ Barker, RP Dick, ML Eastridge and N Lorenz. 2009. Integrating winter annual forages into a no-till corn silage system. Agronomy Journal 101(5):1286-1296.
- Jokela WE, JH Grabber, DL Karlen, TC Balser and DE Palmquist. 2009. Cover crop and liquid manure effects on soil quality indicators in a corn silage system. Agronomy Journal 101(4):727-737.
- Zotarelli L, L Avila, JMS Scholberg and BJR Alves. 2009. Benefits of vetch and rye cover crops to sweet corn under no-tillage. Agronomy Journal 101(2):252-260.
- Brandsæter LO, H Heggen, H Riley, E Stubjaug, and TM Hendriksen. 2008. Winter survival, biomass accumulation and N mineralization of winter annual and biennial legumes sown at various times of year in Northern Temperate Regions. European Journal of Agronomy 28:437-448.
- Andraski TW and LG Bundy. 2008. Corn residue and nitrogen source effects on nitrogen availability in no-till corn. Agronomy Journal 100(5):1274-1279.
- Singer JW. 2008. Corn Belt assessment of cover crop management and preferences. Agronomy Journal 100(6):1670-1672.
- Singer JW, CA Cambardella and TB Moorman. 2008. Enhancing nutrient cycling by coupling cover crops with manure injection. Agronomy Journal 100(6):1735-1739.
- McDonald PB, JW Singer and MH Wiedenhoeft. 2008. Establishment and growth of self-seeded winter cereal cover crops in a soybean-corn rotation. Agronomy Journal 100(2):432-439.
- McDonald PB, JW Singer and MH Wiedenhoeft. 2008. Self-seeded cereal cover crop effects on interspecific competition with corn. Agronomy Journal 100(2):440-446.
- Anderson-Wilk M. 2008. The gap between cover crop knowledge and practice. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 63(4):96A.
- Groff S. 2008. Mixtures and cocktails: Soil is meant to be covered. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 63(4):110A-111A.
- Li L, RW Malone, L Ma, TC Kaspar, DB Jaynes, SA Saseendran, KR Thorp, Q Yu and LR Ahuja. 2008. Winter cover crop effects on nitrate leaching in subsurface drainage as simulated by RZWQM-DSSAT. Transactions of the American Society of Agriculturals and Biological Engineers (ASABE) 51(5):1575-1583.
- Kaspar TC, EJ Kladivko, JW Singer, S Morse and DR Mutch. 2008. Potential and limitations of cover crops, living mulches, and perennials to reduce losses to water sources from agricultural fields in the Upper Mississippi River Basin. Pp. 127-148 in UMRSHNC. Final Report: Gulf Hypoxia and Local Water Wuality Concerns Workshop. St. Joesph, MI. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Singer JW, KA Kohler and PB McDonald. 2007. Self-seeding winter cereal cover crops in soybean. Agronomy Journal 99:73-79.
- Blaser BC, JW Singer and LR Gibson. 2007. Winter cereal, seeding rate, and intercrop seeding rate effect on red clover yield and quality. Agronomy Journal 99(3):723-729.
- Kaspar TC, DB Jaynes, TB Parkin and TB Moorman. 2007. Rye cover crop and gamagrass strip effects on NO3 concentration and load in tile drainage. Journal of Environmental Quality 36(5):1503-1511.
- Singer JW, SM Nusser and CJ Alf. 2007. Are cover crops being used in the US corn belt? Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 62(5):353-358.
- Delgado JA, MA Dillon, RT Sparks and SYC Essah. 2007. A decade of advances in cover crops. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 62(5):110A-117A.
- Hill, E. C., M. Ngouajio, and M. G. Nair. 2007. Allelopathic potential of hairy vetch (Vicia villosa) and cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) methanol and ethyl acetate extracts on weeds and vegetables. WeedTech. 21:437-444.
- Karlen DL, EG Hurley, SS Andrews, CA Cambardella, DW Meek, MD Duffy and AP Mallarino. 2006. Crop rotation effects on soil quality at three northern corn/soybean belt locations. Agronomy Journal 98(3):484-495.
- Blaser BC, LR Gibson, JW Singer, and JL Jannink. 2006. Optimizing seeding rates for winter cereal grains and frost-seeded red clover intercrops. Agronomy Journal 98:1041-1049.
- Feyereisen GW, BN Wilson, GR Sands, JS Strock and PM Porter. 2006. Potential for a rye cover crop to reduce nitrate loss in southwestern Minnesota. Agronomy Journal 98(6):1416-1426.
- Contreras-Govea FE, KA Albrecht and RE Muck. 2006. Spring yield and silage characteristics of Kura clover, winter wheat, and in mixtures. Agronomy Journal 98(3):781-787.
- Feyereisen GW, GR Sands, BN Wilson, JS Strock, PM Porter. 2006. Plant growth component of a simple rye growth model. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 49(5):1569-1578.
- Miguez FE and GA Bollero. 2006. Winter cover crops in Illinois: Evaluation of ecophysiological characteristics of corn. Crop Science 46(4): 1536-1545.
- Chen S, DL Wyse, GA Johnson, PM Porter, SR Stetina, DR Miller, KJ Betts, LD Klossner and MJ Haar. 2006. Effect of cover crops alfalfa, red clover, and perennial ryegrass on soybean cyst nematode population and soybean and corn yields in Minnesota. Crop Science 46(5):1890-1897.
- Hill, E. C., M. Ngouajio, and M. G. Nair. 2006. Differential response of weeds and vegetable crops to aqueous extracts of hairy vetch and cowpea. HortSci. 41:695-700.
- Parkin TB and TC Kaspar. 2006. Nitrous oxide emissions from corn-soybean systems in the Midwest. Journal of Environmental Quality 35:1496-1506.
- Parkin TB, TC Kaspar and JW Singer. 2006. Cover crop effects on the fate of N following soil application of swine manure. Plant Soil 289(1-2):141-152.
- Wienhold BJ, JL Pikul Jr, MA Liebig, MM Mikha, GE Varvel, JW Doran, and SS Andrews. 2006. Cropping system effects on soil quality in the Great Plains: Synthesis from a regional project. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 21(1):49-59.
- Kaspar TC, TB Parkin, DB Jaynes, CA Cambardella, DW Meek, and YS Jung. 2006. Examining changes in soil organic carbon with oat and rye cover crops using terrain covariates. Soil Science Society of America Journal 70(4):1168-1177.
- Contreras-Govea FE and KA Albrecht. 2005. Mixtures of Kura Clover with Small Grains or Italian Ryegrass to Extend the Forage Production Season in the Northern USA. Agronomy Journal 97 (1):131-136.
- Nielsen DC and MF Vigil. 2005. Legume green fallow effect on soil water content at wheat planting and wheat yield. Agronomy Journal 97(3):684-689.
- De Bruin JL, PM Porter and NR Jordan. 2005. Use of a rye cover crop following corn in rotation with soybean in the Upper Midwest. Agronomy Journal 97 (2): 587-598.
- Singer JW and KA Kohler. 2005. Rye cover crop management affects grain yield in a soybean-corn rotation. Crop Management 1:1-6.
- Miguez FE and GA Bollero. 2005. Review of corn yield response under winter cover cropping systems using meta-analytic methods. Crop Science 45(6):2318-2329.
- Eleki K, RM Cruse and KA Albrecht. 2005. Root segregation of C3 and C4 Species using carbon isotope composition. Crop Science 45(3):879-882.
- Kleinman PJA, P Salon, AN Sharpley and LS Saporito. 2005. Effect of cover crops established at time of corn planting on phosphorus runoff from soils before and after dairy manure application. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 60(6):311-322.
- Crandall SM, ML Ruffo and GA Bollero. 2005. Cropping system and nitrogen dynamics under a cereal winter cover crop preceding corn. Plant and Soil. 268(1):209–219.
- Ruffo ML, DG Bullock,and GA Bollero. 2004. Soybean yield as affected by biomass and nitrogen uptake of cereal rye in winter cover crop rotations. Agronomy Journal 96(3):800–805.
- Yeater KM, GA Bollero, DG Bullock, AL Rayburn and S Rodriguez-Zas. 2004. Assessment of genetic variation in hairy vetch using canonical discriminant analysis. Crop Science 44(1):185–189.
- Tillman G, H Schomberg, S Phatak, B Mullinix, S Lachnicht, P Timper and D Olson. 2004. Influence of cover crops on insect pests and predators in conservation tillage cotton. Journal of Economic Entomology 97(4):1217-1232.
- Liebig MA, DL Tanaka and BJ Wienhold. 2004. Tillage and cropping effects on soil quality indicators in the northern Great Plains. Soil and Tillage Research 78:131-141.
- Ball-Coelho B, AJ Bruina, RC Royb and E Rigaa. 2003. Forage pearl millet and marigold as rotation crops for biological control of root-lesion nematodes in potato. Agronomy Journal 95(2):282-292.
- Sainju UM, WF Whitehead and BP Singh. 2003. Cover crops and nitrogen fertilization effects on soil aggregation and carbon and nitrogen pools. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 83(2):155–165.
- Logsdon SD, TC Kaspar, DW Meek, and JH Prueger. 2002. Nitrate leaching as influenced by cover crops in large soil monoliths. Agronomy Journal 94 (4):807-814.
- Nielsen DC, MF Vigila, RL Andersonb, RA Bowmana, JG Benjamina and AD Halvorsonc. 2002. Cropping system influence on planting water content and yield of winter wheat. Agronomy Journal 94(5):962-967.
- Butler TJ, GW Evers, MS Hussey and LJ Ringer. 2002. Flowering in crimson clover as affected by planting date. Crop Science 42:242-247.
- Janzen HH, BH Ellert and DW Anderson. 2002. Organic matter in the landscape. In: R. Lal (ed.) Encyclopedia of soil science. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, NY.
- Malpassi RN, TC Kaspar, TB Parkin, CA Cambardella, and NA Nubel. 2002. Oat and rye root decomposition effects on nitrogen mineralization. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64(1):208-215.
- Hively WC and WJ Cox. 2001. Interseeding cover crops into soybean and subsequent corn yields. Agronomy Journal 93:308-313.
- Kaspar TC, JK Radke, and JM Laflen. 2001. Small grain cover crops and wheel traffic effects on infiltration, runoff, and erosion. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 56(2):160-164.
- Zemenchik RA, KA Albrecht, CM Boerboom and JG Lauer. 2000. Corn production with kura clover as a living mulch. Agronomy Journal 92(4):698-705.
- Malpassi RN, TC Kaspar, TB Parkin, CA Cambardella and NA Nubel. 2000. Oat and rye root decomposition effects on nitrogen mineralization. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64(1):208-215.
- Liebman M and AS Davis. 2000. Integration of soil, crop and weed management in low-external-input farming systems. Weed Research 40(1):27-47.
- Brandsæter LO and J Netland, J. 1999. Winter annual legumes for use as cover crops in row crops in northern regions : I. Field experiments. Crop Science 39:1369–1379.
- Yu XM and M Griffith. 1999. Antifreeze proteins in winter rye leaves form oligomeric complexes. Plant Physiology 119 (4):1361-1369.
- Unger PW and MF Vigil. 1998. Cover crop effects on soil water relationships. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):200-207.
- Dabney SM. 1998. Cover crop impacts on watershed hydrology. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):207-213.
- Wagger MG, ML Cabrera and NN Ranells. 1998. Nitrogen and carbon cycling in relation to cover crop residue quality. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):214-218.
- Mullen MD, CG Melhorn, DD Tyler and BN Duck. 1998. Biological and biochemical soil properties in no-till corn with different cover crops. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):219-224.
- Reicosky DC and F Forcella. 1998. Cover crop and soil quality interactions in agroecosystems. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):224-229.
- Delgado JA. 1998. Sequential NLEAP simulations to examine effect of early and late planted winter cover crops on nitrogen dynamics. J. Soil Water Conserv. 53(3):241-244.
- Jones ME, RR Harwood, NC Dehne, J Smeenk and E Parker. 1998. Enhancing soil nitrogen mineralization and corn yield with overseeded cover crops. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):245-249.
- Johnson TJ, TC Kaspar, KA Kohler, SJ Corak and SD Logsdon. 1998. Oat and rye overseeded into soybean as fall cover crops in the upper Midwest. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):276-279.
- Roberts RK, JA Larson, DD Tyler, BN Duck and KD Dillivan. 1998. Economic analysis of the effects of winter cover crops on no-tillage corn yield response to applied nitrogen. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):280-284.
- Larson JA, RK Roberts, DD Tyler, BN Duck and SP Slinsky. 1998. Stochastic dominance analysis of winter cover crop and nitrogen fertilizer systems for no-tillage corn. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 53(3):285-288.
- Dabney SM, JD Schreiber, CS Rothrock, and JR Johnson. 1996. Cover crops affect sorghum seedling growth. Agronomy Journal 88(6):961-970.
- Gregorich EG, BH Ellert, and CM Monreal. 1995. Turnover of soil organic matter and storage of corn residue carbon estimated from natural 13C abundance. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 75:161–167.
- Cambardella CA and ET Elliot 1992. Particulate soil organic matter changes across a grassland cultivation sequence. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56:777-783.
- Keatinge JDH, A Ali, BR Khan, AMA El-Moneim and S Ahmad. 1991. Germplasm evaluation of annual sown forage legumes under environmental conditions marginal for crop growth in the highlands of West Asia. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 166:48–57.
- Raimbault BA, TJ Vyn, and M Tollenaar. 1989. Corn response to rye cover crop, tillage methods, and planter options. Agronomy Journal 83(2):287-290.
- Blackmer AM and CA Sanchez. 1988. Response of corn to nitrogen-15-labeled anhydrous ammonia with and without nitrapyrin in Iowa. Agronomy Journal 80(1):95-102.
- Wagger, M. G., and D. B. Mengel. 1988. The role of nonleguminous cover crops in the efficient use of water and nitrogen. In W. L. Hargmve [ed.] Cropping Strategies in Efficient Use of Water and Nitrogen. Spec. Pub. No. 51. Am. SOCA. gron, Madison, Wisc. pp. 115-127.
- Barnes JP, AR Putnam, BA Burke, and AJ Aasen. 1987. Isolation and characterization of allelochemicals in rye herbage. Phytochemistry 26(5):1385-1390.
Popular Press Articles
. . .
Adobe Reader is required to view all pdf documents. To download, visit get.adobe.com/reader/.